세미나&이벤트

DANE’s Regular Seminar

페이지 정보

2023.02.13 / 465

본문

Date: 2023.2.14(TUE)

Time: 1:30pm ~ 2:30pm

Venue: Research Building I, #310 / Offline

▶ Speaker: Dr. Youngsup Song(Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory)

Title: Toward Carbon-Neutral Energy Generation and Storage via Multiphase Thermal-Fluids and Materials Innovations

▶ Abstract:

As roughly 90% of greenhouse gas emissions involve heat transfer processes, breakthroughs in thermal-fluid sciences will play a pivotal role to mitigate climate change. In particular, the combination of low-carbon power generation and scalable energy storage technologies will enable deep decarbonization of our energy usage. Considering most current power generation being related to the steam cycle, enhancing boiling heat transfer is critical for efficient power generation. As we move toward renewables, we also need scalable and affordable energy storage technologies such as thermal energy storage (TES) to completely replace fossil fuels. My research covers strategies to tackle challenges in enhanced boiling and TES through multiphase thermal-fluids and materials innovations. In the first part of this seminar, I will discuss a mechanistic understanding and enhancement of pool boiling heat transfer via surface property and structure design of a boiling surface. The second part of this seminar will focus on a supercooling phenomenon of phase change materials (PCMs) for TES. The degree of supercooling, i.e., a freezing temperature, changes with almost every material and system parameters due to the inherent coupling of nucleation with heat transfer. To address this phenomenon for optimized industry-scale TES systems, we have developed an accurate framework to predict the degree of supercooling, with experimental validations, by stochastic modeling of nucleation coupled with heat transfer. These fundamental understanding and enhancement of multiphase thermal-fluids and TES can ultimately lead to deep decarbonization of our energy systems and other sustainability applications.